Antioch vs. Alexandria
We hear much talk these days about “older” and “more authoritative” manuscripts, but we aren’t hearing much about the origin of these manuscripts. It is a well established fact that there are only two lines of Bibles: one coming from Antioch,Syria (known as the Syrian or Byzantine type text) and one coming from Alexandria, Egypt (known as the Egyptian or Hesycnian type text). The Syrian text from Antioch is the Majority text from which our King James 1611 comes, and the Egyptian text is the minority text from which the new versions come.
The manuscripts from Antioch were mostly copied by Bible-believing Christians for the purpose of winning souls and spreading the word of God. The manuscripts from Alexandria were produced by infidels such as Origen and Clement of Alexandria. These manuscripts are corrupted with Greek philosophy (Col. 2:8), and allegorical foolishness. The strange thing is that most Christians aren’t paying any attention to what God’s word says about these two places. Notice how the Holy Spirit casts Egypt and Alexandria in a negative light, while His comments on Antioch tend to be very positive:
Egypt and Alexandria
1. Egypt is first mentioned in connection with Abraham not trusting Egyptians around his wife (Gen. 12:10-13).
2. One of the greatest types of Christ in the Bible was sold into Egypt as a slave (Gen. 37:36).
3. Joseph did not want his bones left in Egypt (Gen. 50:25).
4. God killed all the firstborn of Egypt (Exo. 12:12).
5. God calls Egypt “the house of bondage” (Exo. 20:4).
6. God calls Egypt an “iron furnace” (Deu. 4:20).
7. The Kings of Israel were even forbidden to get horses from Egypt (Deu. 17:16).
8. The Jews were forbidden to go to Egypt for help (Jer. 42:13-19).
9. God called His Son out of Egypt (Mat. 2:15).
10. Egypt is placed in the same category as Sodom (Rev. 11:8).
11. The first time Alexandria is mentioned in the Bible, it is associated with unbelievers, persecution, and the eventual death of Stephen (Acts 6:9; 7:54-60).
12. The next mention of Alexandria involves a lost preacher who is messed up doctrinally (Acts 18:24-26).
13. The last two times we read about Alexandria is in Acts 27:6 and Acts 28:11 where Paul was carried to his eventual death in Rome by two ships fromAlexandria .
Alexandria was the second largest city of the Roman Empire, with Rome being the first. It was founded in 332 B.C. by Alexander the Great (a type of the Antichrist in Daniel 8). Located at the Nile Delta, Alexandria was the home of the Pharos Lighthouse, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient world. Also, during the second and third centuries B.C., it was the home of a massive library containing between 500,000 and 700,000 volumes. It was also the home of a catechetical school once head-mastered by the great apostate Adamantius Origen (185-254 A.D.).
QUESTION: In light of what God’s word says about higher knowledge and philosophy (I Cor. 1:22; Rom. 1:22; Gen. 3:5; Col. 2:8; I Cor. 8:1), why would a Christian expect to find the true word of God in Alexandrian manuscripts?
1. Upon its first mention, we find that Antioch is the home of a Spirit-filled deacon (Acts 6:3-5).
2. Antioch sheltered persecuted saints (Acts 11:19).
3. The first major movement of the Holy Ghost among the Gentiles occurs in Antioch
4. Paul and Barnabas taught the Bible in Antioch for a whole year (Acts 11:26).
5. The disciples were first called “Christians” at Antioch (Acts 11:26).
6. The church at Antioch sent relief to the poor saints at Jerusalem (Acts 11:27-30).
7. The first missionary journey is sent out from Antioch (Acts 13:1-3).
8. Antioch remained the home base or headquarters of the early church
9. The final decision of the Jerusalem council was first sent to Antioch (Acts 15:19-23, 30) because Antioch was the home base.
10. Antioch was the location of Paul setting Peter straight on his doctrine (Gal.2:11).
Founded in 300 B.C. by Seleucus Nicator, Antioch was the third largest city of the Roman Empire. Located in Syria, about twenty miles inland from the Mediterranean on the Orontes River, Antioch had its own sea port and more than its share of travelers and tradesmen. In His infinite wisdom, God picked this ideal location for a “home base”. Antioch was far enough away from the culture and traditions of the Jews and the dominant Gentiles that new Christians could grow in the Lord. Meanwhile, its geographical location was ideal for taking God’s word into all the world.
You can get your Bible from Alexandria, or you can get it from Antioch. Wise Christians choose Antioch.
Sinaiticus and Vaticanus
When someone “corrects” the King James Bible with “more authoritative manuscripts” or “the best authorities,” they’re usually making some reference to Sinaiticus or Vaticanus. These are two very corrupt fourth century uncials that are practically worshipped by modern scholars. These are the primary manuscripts that Westcott and Hort relied so heavily on when constructing their Greek text (1851-1871) on which the new versions are based.
Vaticanus is the most worshipped. This manuscript was officially catalogued in the Vatican library in 1475 and is still property of the Vatican today. It was discovered in a trash can at St. Catherine’s Monastery on the traditional “Mt. Sinai” by Count Tischendorf, a German scholar, in the year 1844.!Siniaticus and Vaticanus are Roman Catholic manuscripts. Remember that. You might also familiarize yourself with the following facts:
1. Both manuscripts contain the Apocrypha as part of the Old Testament.
2. Tischendorf, who had seen both manuscripts, believed they were written by the same man, possibly
Eusebius of Caesarea (260-340 A.D.).
3. Vaticanus was available to the King James translators, but God gave them sense enough to ignore it.
4. Vaticanus omits Genesis 1:1-46:28, Psalm 106-138, Matthew 16:2-3, Rom. 16:24, I Timothy through Titus, the entire book of Revelation, and it conveniently ends the book of Hebrews at Hebrews 9:14.
5. While adding The Epistle of Barnabas and The Shepherd of Hermas to the New Testament, Siniaticus omits John 5:4, 8:1-11, Matthew 16:2-3, Romans 16:24, Mark 16:9-20, Acts 8:37, and I John 5:7 (just to name a few).
6. It is believed that Siniaticus has been altered by as many as ten different men. Consequently, it is a very sloppy piece of work (which is probably the reason for it being in a trash can).
7. The Dutch scholar, Erasmus (1469-1536), who produced the world’s first printed Greek New Testament, rejected the readings of Vaticanus and Siniaticus.
8. Vaticanus and Siniaticus not only disagree with the Majority Text from which the KJV came, they also differ from each other (over 3,000 times in the Gospels alone).
9. When someone says that B and Aleph are the oldest available manuscripts, they are lying. There are many Syriac and Latin translations from as far back as the SECOND CENTURY that agree with the King James readings. For instance, the Pashitta (145 A.D.), and the Old Syriac (400 A.D.) both contain strong support for the King James readings. There are about fifty extant copies of the Old Latin from about 157 A.D., which is over two hundred years before Jerome was conveniently chosen by Rome to “revise” it. Then Ulfilas produced a Gothic version for Europe in A.D. 330. The Armenian Bible, which agrees with the King James, has over 1,200 extant copies and was translated by Mesrob around the year 400. Sinaiticus and Vaticanus are clearly not the oldest and best.
Facts about Westcott and Hort
Brooke Foss Westcott (1825-1901) and Fenton John Anthony Hort (1828-1892) were the two English scholars who produced the corrupt Greek text of the modern perversions. Their dominating influence on the revision committee of 1871-1881 accounts for most of the corruption that we have today in modern translations. The Bible believer should keep several points in mind when discussing these two men. The following information is well documented in Final Authority, by William Grady, and in Riplinger’s New Age Bible Versions:
1. Together, the Life and Letters of Brooke Foss Westcott and the Life and Letters of Fenton John Anthony Hort run over 1,800 pages. A personal salvation testimony is not given once for either man, and the name “Jesus” is found only nine times!
2. Westcott was a firm believer in Mary worship, and Hort claimed that Mary worship had a lot in common with Jesus worship.
3. Hort believed in keeping Roman Catholic sacraments.
4. Hort believed in baptismal regeneration as taught in the Catholic church.
5. Hort rejected the infallibility of Scripture.
6. Hort took great interest in the works of Charles Darwin, while both he and Westcott rejected the literal account of Creation.
7. Westcott did not believe in the Second Coming of Christ, the Millennium, or a literal Heaven.
8. Both men rejected the doctrine of a literal Hell, and they supported prayers for the dead in purgatory.
9. Hort refused to believe in the Trinity.
10. Hort refused to believe in angels.
11. Westcott confessed that he was a communist by nature.
12. Westcott also did his share of beer drinking. In fact, only twelve years after the Revised Version was published, Westcott was a spokesman for a brewery.
13. While working on their Greek text (1851-1871), and while working on the Revision Committee for the Revised Version (1871-1881), Westcott and Hort were also keeping company with “seducing spirits and doctrines of devils” (I Tim. 4:1). Both men took great interest in occult practices and clubs. They started theHermes Club in 1845, the Ghostly Guild in 1851, and Hort joined a secret club called The Apostles in the same year. They also started the Eranus Club in 1872. These were spiritualists groups which believed in such unscriptural practices as communicating with the dead (necromancy).
14. The Westcott and Hort Greek text was secretly given to the Revision Committee.
15. The members of the Revision Committee of 1881 were sworn to a pledge of secrecy in regard to the new Greek text being used, and they met in silence for ten years.
16. The corrupt Greek text of Westcott and Hort was not released to the public until just five days before the debut of the Revised Version. This prevented Bible-believing scholars like Dean Burgon from reviewing and exposing it.
Translating the King James Bible
Unlike Westcott, Hort, and the R.V. Committee, King James went through great efforts to guard the 1611 translation from errors.
Please note the following:
1. In 1604, King James announced that 54 Hebrew and Greek scholars had been appointed to translate a new Bible for English speaking people. The number was reduced to 47 by the time the work formally began in 1607.
2. Rather than working together all at one location, these men were divided into six separate groups, which worked at three separate locations. There were two atWestminster, two at Oxford, and two at Cambridge.
3. Each group translated a selected portion of Scripture.
4. Each scholar made his translation of a book and then passed it on to be reviewed by each member of his group.
5. The whole group then went over the book together.
6. Once a group had completed a book of the Bible, they sent it to be reviewed by the other five groups.
7. All objectionable and questionable translating was marked and noted, and then it was returned to the original group for consideration.
8. A special committee was formed by selecting one leader from each group. This committee worked out all of the remaining differences and produced a finished copy.
9. This means that the King James Bible had to pass at least FOURTEENexaminations before going to press.
10. Throughout this process, any learned individuals of the land could be called upon for their judgment, and the churches were kept informed of the progress.
Let’s Compare Bibles
In this section, you will see several good examples of how modern Bible versions are attacking God’s word. We have selected eight modern translations for evaluation. The translations evaluated are as follows:
NIV…… New International Version
NASB…New American Standard Bible
NRSV…New Revised Standard Version
REB…..Revised English Bible
NWT…. New World Translation
NAB ….New American Bible
NKJV… New King James Version
Although we have limited this study to eight new translations, you will find some of these attacks manifested in ANY new translation. You will find that some of the most important doctrines of the Bible are being attacked in the new versions. Whether you have a Living Bible, a New Century Version, a Revised Standard Version, a Holman Christian Standard Version, or any of the other perversions of Scripture. You are going to see the Devil hard at work on the revision committees of the new translations. The King James reading will appear first, followed by a brief comment, and then the readings of the modern versions.
The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
The above promise from the King James Bible tells us that God intends to preserve His WORDS forever. Notice how the new versions destroy this promise by making you think the context is God’s PEOPLE rather than His WORDS:
NIV…… you will keep us safe
NASB… Thou wilt preserve him
NRSV.. You, O Lord, will protect us
REB…..you are our protector
LB……..you will forever preserve your own
NAB…..You, O Lord, will keep us
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
Notice how some new versions attack the Virgin Birth of Christ by robbing Mary of her virginity. As anyone well knows, a young woman or a maiden is NOT necessarily a virgin:
NRSV.. young woman
And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.
Here the new versions attack the Virgin Birth by telling us that Joseph was Christ’s father:
NIV…….The child’s father
NRSV…the child’s father
I Timothy 3:16
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
Notice how the King James is very clear in telling us WHO was manifest in the flesh: GOD was manifest in the flesh. Now watch the new perversions throw God clear out of the verse:
NIV…….He appeared in a body
NASB…He who was revealed in the flesh
NRSV…He was revealed in flesh
REB…..He was manifested in the flesh
LB……..who came to earth as a man
NWT…. He was made manifest in the flesh
NAB…..He was manifested in the flesh
But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
This is a prophecy of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the verse tells us that He had no beginning. As the Second Member of the Trinity, He is ETERNAL, or from everlasting, but not in most modern translations:
NIV…… from ancient times
NRSV.. from ancient days
REB…. in ancient times
NWT… from the days of time indefinite
NAB…. from ancient times (vs. 1)
How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
Revelation 22:16 tells us that Jesus Christ is the “Morning Star”. The KJV never gives this title to anyone else. However, in some new versions, Jesus Christ and Satan are the same, because some versions have taken the liberty to call Satan the “morning star” in Isaiah 14:12. Although some versions do not go so far as to call Satan the “morning star,” they still throw out the name “Lucifer”.
NASB…star of the morning
REB…..Bright morning star
NWT…. you shining one
NAB….. morning star
He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.
This is an excellent Old Testament verse which shows that Jesus Christ existed long before He was born in Bethlehem. Naturally, the new versions will pervert it with pagan foolishness:
NIV…… a son of the gods
NASB.. a son of the gods
NRSV.. a god
REB…. a god
LB……. a god
NWT… a son of the gods
NAB…. a son of God (vs. 92)
LOOK AT Colossians 1:14 KJV
In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
The Blood of Jesus is very important. Check out these new modern versions that man has rewritten for filthy lucres sake WHILE LISTENING TO WHAT THE DEVIL TOLD HIM TO WRITE… what do their new versions say ?
WHERE IS THE BLOOD OF JESUS ? I REST MY CASE ON THE BLOOD OF JESUS…THANK YOU LORD…PLEASE FORGIVE US FOR LISTENING TO THE DEVIL WHO ALWAYS HAS, SINCE THE GARDEN… AND ALWAYS WILL WORK TIRELESSLY, TO DISCREDIT YOUR WORD…AND TAKE AWAY YOUR PRECIOUS BLOOD…FORGIVE US LORD…FOR YOU ARE THE WORD…IN JESUS NAME…AMEN.
Thank you pastor Milton.